Jul 29, 2021 |

Minimising Damage During the Winter Seasons

With the recent bad weather in Perth, we thought it was a good time to talk about the things you need to do to minimise damage to your property. Whether you rent or own, here are some things you should consider:

Clear your yard/balcony/courtyard and check drains are clear
Ensure there is no rubbish or small items left in yards, courtyards or on balconies (such as bottles, glasses, bags, packaging, gardening tools, pegs, etc.) that could easily be taken away with the wind and end up in the gutters, causing blockages. Ensure that no clothing on washing lines or drying frames are left outside as clothing is also commonly found in gutters and can cause blockages. In apartments, be sure to check that there is nothing obstructing the drains on your balcony such as leaves, furniture, pots and any other items.

Secure furniture and pots/plants
If there is any furniture or pot plants outside that could easily be moved or taken by the wind, ensure they are secured. If necessary, some items may need to be taken inside or placed into a shed/storeroom if they cannot be tied down or secured.

Courtyard/Balcony Screens, Blinds, Awnings
If the property has any external screens, blinds or awnings ensure that these are secured as per the manufacturer’s recommendations.

Close Windows
Close and secure all windows and/or sliding doors to avoid water ingress into the property.

Be Prepared
Depending on the rainfall, in some instances it may be the case that the water level could rise very quickly in yards, courtyards or balconies. Be prepared with towels or sandbags to prevent water entering into your property as much as possible. If there is water ingress from the roof/ceiling ensure you place a bucket under the leak to capture the water and avoid damage to the property.  Move personal items away from any areas that have been affected by water to avoid damage to your contents.

If you do experience leaks, water ingress or flooding, please take photographs to keep for insurance purposes.

Emergency Services
If you experience significant damage to your property and you consider this an emergency, please contact the State Emergency Service (SES) on 132 500 in the first instance.

Recent weather events are a timely reminder regarding insurance. For tenants it is important that you have contents insurance for your possessions as the landlord’s insurance does not cover any of your personal items. For landlords who have not considered landlord insurance, it is important to acknowledge that most policies cover natural disasters such as floods and contents up to a certain amount, not just tenant damage and loss of rent.

The Property Management team hope that you have managed to stay dry in this unusually wet July and as always are happy to discuss any queries or questions you may have on your property.


Warm regards,

Kylie Gilmour